Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What's What and Who's Who

I have had this blog for a couple of months now, so I figured it was time to share some interesting tidbits about myself with you guys!
1.) My name is actually Rhiannon, not Rio.
I use Rio here in the blogosphere (which makes it sound like we bloggers live in our own little world... which is kind of true :)) because (1) it has been my nickname forever (along with Rhi, Nannon, etc), and (2) Rhiannon takes a lot longer to type out all the time... yes I am that lazy haha!
Me and my pretty puppy Rocco :)
2.) I am really, really short.
I'm not talking about just below average height, either! I am 4 feet eleven inches tall... yup under 5 feet tall. I actually like being this short though; it works for me :). There are really only two things that bother me about it: 1) People think they can pick me up all the time. This is not only weird, it's kinda creepy haha! 2.) People think they can talk to me like I'm 5 years old. Earlier this year, a silly girl who was probably a good 4-5 years younger than me actually baby-talked to me at a concert. Not cool man, not cool! Overall, though, I like being small. :)

My mom is 5'8" just for reference as to my shortness :)
3.) I am a waitress.
I work at a small Hawaiin food restaurant that serves Hawaiin style plate lunches, i.e. chicken teriyaki with rice and macaroni salad. I make pretty good tips (dollah dollah bills y'all haha), and I plan on working there until I'm done with college. There is only one girl who works at a time, along with the cooks, and a food runner on the weekends during summer, so the girl working has to take orders, run food (except in summer), clear tables, clean, and stock everything. It's tiring and not my ideal job, but I do like my coworkers, bosses, and a lot of the regulars I've met in my almost 2 years there.
3 item combo plate w/ coconut prawns, kal-bi ribs, and chicken teriyaki
4.) I am a science nerd through and through.
I am going into my senior year as an Earth Science major at UCSC, and my main focus is marine/coastal geology. At my junior college, I was a teaching assistant for an Oceanography lab for 2.5 years, and it was awesome. This quarter, I will be taking 3 upper-division geology classes, and I get to be an instructional aid for a California Geology class, which means I have to run my own discussion section...ahhhh scary! What can I say, I really like rocks. ;)
Geology field class at the Pinnacles National Park
5.) I love traveling.
I loooooove it, seriously. My family is definitely far from being rich, but my parents have always made traveling a priority. We have driven through Baja California more times than I can count, through the desert, scary cliffside roads, getting lost, popping tires, and shattering windows! We also went to Bali as a family, and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. My mom and I went to Costa Rica two summers ago, and I fell in love with the country, the people, the zip-lining through the forest,etc. I just love going new places, meeting new people, and trying new things. I'm always thinking about where I want to go next!

Waiting at the Liberia Airport in Costa Rica, 2008

Anything you feel like sharing about yourselves?

20 comments:

  1. I love it! Did you know your name was also the name of a goddess? Your name is very beautiful.

    I love to travel too!

    I like your blog:)

    iloveowls.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this about you.
    And I love that you're short! I'm barely five feet myself, and people are forever using my head as an armrest!! :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Hey! Hey! We should make a "under 5 feet tall and all grown up" facebook group! Hahaha. I'm 4'11" toooo!!! Yay! I'm so happy there are more of us around haha. It always makes me happy to find under 5 feet tall people. Doesn't it make you frustrated when girls complain about "only" being five seven?? I'm like, gosh! I would kill to just be five three!

    Thank you for your blog comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Looks like you won a giveaway here! http://selectivepotential.blogspot.com/2010/08/selective-potential-giveaway.html Email me to claim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha dont call yourself short , you're petite and i wish i can be petite , me standing at 174 is pretty weird for a Asian , and it my country i am kinda too big for average size girls

    i love travel to , so much to see in this world but i have never been out of Malaysia hope that day will come one day :)

    and i suck in Maths / science lol i wish i could do better though

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe love these pics and reading about them, great post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are indeed short! ; D And your travelling trips with the folks sound intense! Nice to know more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo weird, I've been trying to post since last night! I've got a girlfriend with the same name and I always loved it!

    Please do check the post today, I tagged you! Click on HAPPY:

    http://twentyyork.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got an eye for details my dear! And you are soo right, the ruffles and the water fountain goes together!

    http://twentyyork.blogspot.com/2010/08/park-and-fly.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post, it's nice to get to know the person behind the blog because reading the blog then becomes something familiar like talking to an old friend :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo that food looks so delicious! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. !. I've always wondered if your name was really Rio because, if I ever had kids, Rio would be at the top my list--it always has been!

    2. My grandma is 4'11 and I am 5'8"!

    3. Yeahhh UC school! (actually not really, because of the budget cuts!) Santa Cruz is so nice, I have a bunch of friends who go/went there!

    xx
    MILK TEETHS

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so nice to know more about you, goes to show that good things come in small packages! I love traveling too and one day plan to visit California - hopefully next year with my friend!

    Thankyou for all your comments on my blog

    Ellie Rose xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're not the only geology nerd out there! :) While I decided to go a different route for college, I still have my old rock collections from when I was little and my family still talks about how I used to go through my neighbors rock garden to steal her rocks so I could tell them what it was. I was such a rebel. haha.

    Cute blog!

    -Weezy from http://beautysimplistic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you guys liked this post! Promise I'll get less lazy and post some outfit photos pronto! :)
    -Rio

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow great reading all these tidbits about yourself - i never would've guessed that you were so short!

    http://pagesixxx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. my stepmom is 4'11! I'm also short so I understand. Rocks are awesome, earth science was my favorite subject in high school :)

    ReplyDelete

I'll try my darnedest to get back to anyone who is kind enough to leave me a message:). Just leave me a way to get back to you (email or blog link)! Thanks!!!